Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Rashomon




Its raining all over. One old broken samurai temple. Three poor man waiting inside to take cover from the rain. A priest, a woodcutter and a commoner. Between them they discuss a recent scandal where a girl was raped, her husband was killed and a famous bandit was arrested. Then the woodcutter narrated stories told by each of the witnesses in the court.
It was a movie that defined a genre. It was a movie inspired Satyajit Ray, who is like god in cinema for me. It has the same kind of effect in Japanese cinema what Pather Panchali did for Indian cinema. It is a masterpiece by one of greatest movie maker of all time Akira Kurosawa.
I started to watch the movie with so much to look for. I felt quite similar when I watched the legendary The Bicycle Thief. I loved this movie. I may not a great critic of movies but I quite an ardent follower. The simplicity with which the story moves and the amazing performance of the artists kept me in awe. Each of the characters were speaking lie to a point that the protagonists priest lost his all belief in goodness and humanity. But the movie isn't about pessimism. In the end it raises the hope to believe hope to love. It depicts the inner villain in everyone of us. We all see life as the way we want to see it and its possible for us to interpret the same thing in variable manner. This simple message was conveyed so beautifully through the movie.
Moral of my story if you get a chance please watch this movie.

No comments: